Sunglasses, something warm to wear, binoculars, positive attitude…there are many things to remember when planning a safari holiday. So how do you make the most out of your safari getaway?
Cottar’s 1920s Camp’s managers share their top tips when travelling to Masai Mara in Kenya.
1. Wake up early, especially when you’re on safari. It can be very tempting to lie in but all the game is out and about as the sun starts to rise so you could miss out of some superb animal action. Also there’s plenty of time for a snooze during the heat of the afternoon – when most of the game will be snoozing too.
2. Pack a scarf, one of the most useful travel accessories with many different practical uses. It is great for sun protection, keeping you warm and can be used as a makeshift towel or carrying stuff around.
3. Make time to just observe. Slow down and pay attention to the details around you. It is very easy to get over excited on holiday and forget the small wonders: the smells, the colors, the people and the sounds. You’ll notice things you never had before.
4. Sun cream, sun cream, sun cream. In Kenya it’s a must.
5. Try something new. Go on! How about a balloon ride over the Mara or running with the Maasai? You might be surprised at how much you enjoy it.
6. Smile and chat to people. It doesn’t cost a thing and you’ll be amazed at how much it can change your day even when things aren’t going as planned.
7. Pack a pair of lightweight long trousers. On safari when the mosquitos are out to play trousers are a life saver. Also it can get chilly on the morning game drives.
8. Bring a book. Whether you are waiting for your connection at the airport or relaxing by our camp pool a book always comes in handy.
9. Take lots of photos but don’t forget to enjoy the moment.
10. Be on holiday. Of course you are on holiday but it is so easy to check those work emails or surf the net but why not pretend there is no Wifi and just enjoy being where you are.
Contact Cottars 1920s Camp